Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cleansing and (separately) activism excitement!

Cleansing = chucking all my non-vegan crap. Seriously, the dietary change is probably the easiest change to make. Then you look around your house and realize all the non-vegan things you have accumulated, and its appalling. For me, my single largest offense was shoes. Unfortunately, when you are financially challenged you cannot toss ALL (and I did have to lose them all) your shoes until you can afford new ones! So - 4 months in I finally have 4 pairs of vegan shoes and can get rid of all my non-vegan shoes. It feels great!!

Some other things for me to consider have been things like shampoo, body wash, lotion, etc. - but luckily I was already buying those things cruelty-free, so no major changes there. Just being extra careful to check because some products advertise "no testing on animals" and then have honey or other animal products IN them. My advice: read the labels and do your research to make sure you are fully informed.

Found great vegan shoe choices at:
www.mooshoes.com
www.alternativeoutfitters.com
www.ragazzivegan.com

Also, a brand called Earth Therapeutics has some great cruelty-free products (body wash, etc.).

If you have any questions about finding vegan-friendly products, feel free to shoot us an email at whatitmeanstobevegan@gmail.com

In addition to my cleansing, Brian and I have been researching animal activism, wanting to do our part. At someone's suggestion I researched potential vegan activist groups in our area (Rhode Island) - and to my great surprise I actually found one! It's called Rhode Island Vegan Awareness and from the website (www.veganawareness.org) it really looks great. They take an abolitionist approach and seem to recognize that "humane killing" is still killing, and therefore NOT humane, which is important to me. There are too many animal rights groups out there that support "humane killing." They are having a meeting this Thursday to brainstorm new ideas for activism in our community. Brian is working, but I'm definitely going and SO excited... I'll keep you posted on how it goes...




✰Kristen✰

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen!

    I have considered going Vegan for quite some time, and in fact periodically do for a few weeks. I have an number of books on this, but not the one you recommended so I will definitely pick that up, thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to following you on your journey, and in fact may be joining you as well!

    http://boilit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! For someone on the fence, I definitely suggest the book Vegan Freak :) Please keep me posted on your journey with veganism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question for you...since Glycerin can be made from all natural plant sources, such as soybean oil, & it can also be made from animal by products, do you just not use things with glycerin in them since its hard to find out which one is used.

    ReplyDelete